Daily GK Updates 9th August 2017, Today GK Quiz: Candidates are preparing for various governments competitive examinations and if they want to prepare their General Knowledge subject. They can get latest updates by checking our post. We have updated today Daily GK Updates 9th August 2017, Current Affairs August 2017, and Today GK Questions Answers with covering all latest topics and trends i.e. national & international affairs, trades/economics, award, books, sports fields. Check our Daily G.K, Updates Data and review yourself by appearing in online mock tests available at www.wifistudy.com.
Daily GK Updates 9th August 2017, Current Affairs August 2017:
1. 8th Meeting of the Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process held in New Delhi
India, along with 17 countries under the Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process, is seeking to make transit and trade agreements among them more inclusive and comprehensive by expanding them both northwards and southwards, to connect South Asia with Central Asia.
- At a meeting held in New Delhi, the participants, besides viewing Afghanistan as a natural bridge in promoting regional connectivity and economic integration, also reviewed steps taken for development of transit and transport through Chabahar Port involving India, Afghanistan and Iran, TAPI gas pipeline, CASA-1000, TAT railway line and Lapis Lazuli corridor.
- Representatives of 17 participating countries and supporting international organisations, including Azerbaijan, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, the UAE, Australia, Egypt, Germany, the UK, the US, the EU and the UN, attended the meet.
2. NITI Aayog announces partnership with 6 states to transform Health & Edu sectors
NITI Aayog has shortlisted Uttar Pradesh, Assam and Karnataka under its ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital’, SATH initiative to handhold them and transform their health sector.
- The Aayog has also selected Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Odisha under its SATH initiative to transform their education sector.
- To give major push to competitive, cooperative federalism, the government think tank had invited all states and Union Territories to participate in its SATH initiative to transform Health and Education sectors.
- States then made presentations for each sector which was assessed by a committee comprised of senior members of NITI Aayog and Health and Human Resources Development ministries.
3. 75th anniversary of Quit India Movement
The nation is celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement today. A number of events are being planned to mark the occasion.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called upon countrymen to start a new India movement “SANKALP SE SIDDHI”- Attainment through Resolve.
- Mr Modi, termed the month of August as a month of revolution as the non-cooperation movement was launched on 1st of August 1920, Quit-India movement on 9th of August 1942 and on 15th August 1947 India became independent.
- The National Archives of India is organizing a special exhibition in New Delhi from today to mark the 75th year of Quit India Movement and Azad Hind Fauj. The two big events of the Indian history will be displayed through thousands of declassified files and documents.
4. Gujarat Rajya Sabha Election result
BJP National President Amit Shah, Union Minister for Textile and Information and Broadcasting Smriti Irani and Senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel have won the Rajya Sabha elections from Gujarat.
- Amit Shah and Smriti Irani received 46 votes each while Ahmed Patel got 44 votes.
5. Maharashtra to raise $270 m from Green Climate Fund
The 2030 Water Resources Group (2030WRG) will help the Maharashtra Government raise $270 million from the Green Climate Fund, which will be invested in integrated watershed programmes such as Jalyukt Shivar Yojana.
- The Green Climate Fund (GCF) is a new fund under the UN and is guided by the principles and provisions of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- The 2030WRG is hosted by the International Finance Corporation and is public-private-civil society collaboration for water resources reform in developing economies.
- Its ultimate aim is to close the gap between water demand and supply by the year 2030.
6. Justice Dipak Misra as the next Chief Justice of India
Justice Dipak Misra will be the next Chief Justice of India. The Law Ministry notified the appointment of Justice Misra.
- He will replace Chief Justice J S Khehar, who will retire on the 27th of this month. Justice Misra is the senior-most judge of the Supreme Court after Justice Khehar.
- He will have tenure of nearly 13 months. Justice Misra will be sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India by President Ram Nath Kovind on August 27.
7. Dev Patel to be honoured with Asia Society Game Changers Award
Dev Patel who became popular with his debut film Slumdog Millionaire, will be felicitated with the Asia Society 2017 Asia Game Changers Award at a ceremony to be held at the United Nations, New York.
- The Asia Game Changer lifetime achievement award will be given to Aga Khan, Founder of the Aga Khan Development Network for using philanthropy to lift millions of Asia’s most vulnerable.
8. Ravindra Jadeja tops ICC ranking among all-rounders in Test Cricket
India’s Ravindra Jadeja edged out Bangladesh’s Shakib Al Hasan to claim the top-rank among all-rounders apart from maintaining top position in the bowlers’ chart in the latest ICC test match rankings.
- Jadeja currently has 438 points among the all-rounders while Shakib has 431 points.
- Cheteshwar Pujara gained a place to be third among batsmen while Virat Kohli maintained his fifth position.
- Steve Smith and Joe Root are still at No 1 and 2 position in batsmen rankings.
9. Kynan Chenai wins bronze at 7th Asian Shotgun
Indian shooter Kynan Chenai won a bronze in men’s trap event, at the 7th Asian Championship Shotgun at Astana, Kazakhstan.
- Kynan first shot 116 out of 125 to qualify for the six men final round in third spot and then held on to the position till the end of the finals.
- He shot a score of 30 to finish behind gold medallist Abdulrahman Al Faihan of Kuwait, who shot 39 for a new Asian finals record and another Kuwati Talal Al Rashidi, who bagged the silver with an effort of 38.
10. Wayde Van Niekerk retains men’s 400m title
In World Athletics Championships, Olympic Champion Wayde Van Niekerk won the men’s 400 meters event and retained his title in London.
- The World Record holder South African Niekerk, clocked 43.98 seconds to finish at the top of podium.
- Steve Gardiner of Bahamas finished second in the event while Abdalelah Haroun of Qatar claimed the Bronze.
11. BJP MP from Ajmer & former Union minister Sanwar Lal Jat passes away
BJP’s Member of Parliament from Ajmer and former Union minister Prof Sanwar Lal Jat passed away in New Delhi today. He was 62.
- Prof Sanwar Lal Jat was member of the Rajasthan Legislative Assembly for five terms. He also served as Minister in the Rajasthan Government thrice.
- In 2014, he was elected to the Lok Sabha from Ajmer. He served as Union Minister of State for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation till July last year.