Daily GK Updates 21st April 2017, Today GK Quiz: Candidates are preparing for various governments competitive examinations and if they want to prepare their General Knowledge subject. They can get latest updates by checking our post. We have updated today Daily GK Updates 21st April 2017, Current Affairs April 2017, and Today GK Questions Answers with covering all latest topics and trends i.e. national & international affairs, trades/economics, award, books, sports fields. Check our Daily G.K, Updates Data and review yourself by appearing in online mock tests available at www.wifistudy.com.
Daily GK Updates 21st April 2017, Current Affairs April 2017:
1. China to host BRICS Film Festival in June
- The 2017 BRICS Film Festival will be held in Chengdu, southwest China’s Sichuan Province from June 23 to 27.
- There will be 30 films from BRICS countries screened during the festival.
- The first BRICS Film Festival was held in New Delhi, India, last September.
- This year’s festival would be held ahead of the BRICS summit to be held in September this year in China’s Xiamen city.
- 2. Sri Lanka to host UN Vesak Day in 2017
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate UN Vesak Day in Colombo on May 12, Sri Lanka’s Minister for Justice and Buddhasasana Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe said.
- Vesak Day, also known as Buddha Poornima, is a traditional holiday commemorated by Sri Lanka’s majority Sinhala Buddhists.
- This year’s theme is ‘Buddhist teachings for social justice and sustainable world peace’.
3. India contributes $250,000 to UN election assistance programme
- India has made a 250,000 dollar contribution to the UN programme for helping countries to hold elections and develop their electoral systems.
- This is the second Indian contribution of $250,000 to the programmes for electoral assistance and capacity building.
- The first was made in 2012.
- Through the Election Assistance Division set up in 1991, the UN has helped over 100 countries with their elections.
4. National civil services day: 21 April
- Government of India has taken a decision to observe the 21st of April every year as “Civil Services Day”.
- First such function was held in Vigyan Bhawan on 21/04/06.
- The purpose for this day is to rededicate and recommit civil servants to the cause of the people.
5. Narendra Modi, Paytm’s Vijay Shekhar Sharma in Time magazine’s ‘most influential people list’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma were the only two Indians to make it to an annual list of ‘100 most influential people in the world’ this year released by the Time magazine.
- The magazine has also included US President Donald Trump, Russian President Vladimir Putin and British Prime Minister Theresa May in the new list of 100 most influential people.
6. PM to inaugurate Textiles India 2017 on June 30
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate Textiles India, a mega event showcasing the country as a global sourcing hub in Gandhinagar on June 30.
- The three-day conference will be attended by several Union Ministers including Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Textiles Minister Smriti Irani
- It will provide a platform to connect and collaborate with global manufacturers, investors and buyers in the textiles sector.
7. Tata Motors arm launches first Made in India industrial robot
- TAL Manufacturing Solutions, a unit of Tata Motors has launched a Made in India industrial robot, which it claims will be 30 to 40 per cent cheaper than competing products.
- TAL, which also makes components for commercial airplanes, officially launched two variants of the robot named Brabo.
- Brabo can be used in areas like assembly of parts, machine and press tending.
8. Global economy will grow 3.5% in 2017, IMF predicts
- International Monetary Fund predicts that the world economy will grow 3.5 per cent this year, as compared to 3.1 per cent in 2016.
- The IMF’s latest outlook for 2017 is a slight upgrade from the 3.4 per cent global growth it had forecast in January.
9. Italian mayor Giusi Nicolini wins Unesco Peace Prize
- The Unesco has awarded its Peace Prize to Giuseppina (Giusi) Nicolini, the mayor of the Italian island of Lampedusa, for her commitment to saving the lives of migrants and refugees.
- Since becoming Mayor in 2012, Nicolini has been an outspoken defender of refugee and migrant rights.
10. Visually impaired Indian runner Sagar Baheti completes historic Boston Marathon
- Bangalore-based Sagar Baheti has become the first visually impaired Indian runner to complete the historic Boston Marathon, the world’s oldest, most competitive and the hardest marathon to qualify for.
- Baheti travelled to the USA and became the first visually impaired Indian to participate in the famous marathon.
- Baheti completed approximately 42.16 km distance in just over four hours.
11. Veteran journalist Nora Chopra no more
- Senior journalist and columnist, Nora Chopra passed away following a period of illness.
- She was actively engaged in her work till her premature demise.
- Chopra was widely respected for being a passionate, spirited and combative journalist.